Iron Mill College
Title: Course Tutor – Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling (BACP Accredited Course)
Location: Iron Mill College (Poole)
Hours: Weekday course: Teaching takes place on 1 x teaching day per week during term-time, all 10am – 5.15pm.
All academic staff members are additionally required to share equally in the Open Evening, Open Day and Student Admission Interviews rotas, which, along with Staff Development activities and staff meetings, are paid in addition to the stated salary.
Duration: 1-year or 2-year fixed-term contract (depending upon cohort to be taught, with possibility of extension)
Salary: £25,768 – £35,609 pro rata at a 0.23 ratio. This equates to 59.8 days of work across the year: 36 of those days involve working directly with your group, and the remainder cover preparation, marking, and tutor-related admin etc.
Your Time Ratio referred to above includes a provision which relates to your pro-rata holiday entitlement – your accrued holiday entitlement is therefore paid to you each month in arrears.
Responsible to: The Programmes Lead
Start Date: June 2021
Closing Date: Monday 5th April 2021
Date: Thursday 22nd April 2021
Selection Method: A 15-minute teaching session (excluding questions) and 30-
Teaching Session Topic: You have 15 minutes to deliver part of a 3-hour teaching session, appropriate for a group of first year Advanced Diploma students, on one of the topics below. Please provide a brief teaching plan for the whole morning (10am-1pm) and indicate where your 15-minute section would be located. You will have access to a laptop pc and projector, and a flipchart. Please let us know if you have any further specific requirements in advance.
1. Defining Integrative Counselling
2. Contemporary Attachment Theory
3. Difference and Diversity
Iron Mill College is a specialist independent college based in Exeter with a well-established centre in Poole and afurther centre in development in Kent. With over 40 years of experience in the provision of high-quality counselling and psychotherapy, mental health and wellbeing training programmes, the college is well known and highly regarded within the professional community. The college provides learning opportunities for a range of students at various levels from Certificate level through to postgraduate degrees. We also offer a comprehensive range of CPD programmes, free public lectures, conferences, study skills sessions, and a low- cost community Counselling Service.
You will be joining a friendly, supportive team, passionate about innovative and creative approaches to teaching and learning, within a successful, growing organisation that provides high quality support and inspiring learning experiences for their students.
As a Course Tutor on the Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling, you will be a core tutor for a group of students, delivering all support and teaching for that group over the full two years of their training. This includes (but is not limited to):
* Planning and delivering teaching across all subjects on the curriculum
* Strong teamwork including prompt and supportive communication with academic and administrative colleagues
* IT skills (PowerPoint/Keynote, Windows, SharePoint and OneDrive), and the ability to produce professionally presented course materials
* Provision of well-structured teaching and learning experiences involving interactive lectures, observation anddemonstration of clinical skills, creative exercises, experiential work, reflective practice and feedback.
* Ability to form and maintain a warm and professional working alliance with students, offering reliable, consistent, relational and supportive group leadership.
* Managing group process and development, including holding clear boundaries, supporting beginnings and endings, modelling the respect and care expected of students, and facilitating any group storming/ rupture and repair processes in a grounded, supportive, skilled and empathic manner
* Marking and moderation of assessments with the provision of detailed developmental feedback to students
* Organising and carrying out tutorials and assessments as required, and uploading detailed records to SharePoint within the required timeframes; organising time well, adhering to set schedules and meeting deadlines
* Attending all scheduled meetings and undertaking an equal share in the open evening/ open day/ student interview rotas
* Providing additional learning support and development in a responsive manner and at a level suitable for each student, monitoring progress and communicating expectations clearly
* Support students in their personal development and awareness
* Excellent interpersonal, communication and organisational skills
* Developing innovative teaching, learning and assessment strategies and to facilitate inspiring and memorable learning experiences; to share these with colleagues
* Maintaining appropriate professional behaviours and boundaries at all times
This is not an exhaustive list of duties and is subject to change.
NB: Iron Mill College (IMC) enrolled students are not permitted to employ a supervisor or therapist in private practice or any other setting who is also a member of staff working at IMC (even when working on a different course or cohort), for reasons of clarity and transparency relating to professional boundaries. This means that lecturers will not be able to recruit IMC students to their private practice while employed at IMC.
All teaching posts are offered subject to successful recruitment to the programme. Please visit our website for the full job description and for the application form
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.