Start Date: ASAP
Location: Central Reading, Berkshire
Salary range: £20,092 – £21,748
Fulltime Role. 37hours per week (Precise hours to be agreed but 07:30 start will be required)
About the Role
To ensure the school buildings and site are kept in excellent order to support children’s learning, facilitate the effective running of the school and to present the school to parents and pupils as a school committed to high standards. Ensuring flexible support regarding management, operation, maintenance, and security of the site, including the buildings.
Key Responsibilities and Demands
To provide and ensure the school buildings and site are maintained to a high standard.
Range of duties of the Caretaker include:
· The security of the building and site.
· The overall cleanliness and good order of the premises and the grounds including gardens and play equipment.
· Close regard to H&S, Safeguarding and Statutory Compliance requirements.
· Routine material and equipment checks.
· Minor maintenance and repairs including decorating.
· Porterage of school deliveries as required (within 4 working hours).
· To help the school use energy and water efficiently and minimise waste.
· Good communication skills both orally and in writing.
· Ensure efficient operation of the school heating system.
· Good IT skills to update compliance/asset software system.
· Maintain a smart appearance at all times, acting as an ambassador for the school and setting a good example for pupils.
SECURITY – The school will be secure and protected.
To be a keyholder of the school and maintain a secure and safe site by:
· To be responsible for the security of the school site. Manage security systems that restrict access to the buildings. The Caretaker and School Business Manager are the first contact in the event of an emergency.
Build strong relationship with Security provider
· Be contactable in an emergency outside working hours.
· To be a key holder, to check, lock and unlock the building and grounds as required at times to suit the needs of the establishment.
· To ensure all windows and doors are closed and that all school gates are closed/locked/secure when the building is not in use. Set and secure alarm systems.
· To assist nominated security contractor to respond to intruder/fire alarm outside of normal school opening hours.
· Restricting vehicle access to the site to staff and authorised users, particularly preventing vehicles entering when pupils are present. (i.e. start and end of school day, playtimes, etc.).
· Deal with those who act in a way that presents a danger to the pupils in and around school e.g. irresponsible parking.
· Advise all site users and contractors of the requirements of health and safety including risk assessments and method statements.
· Take responsibility for ensuring all contractors are properly signed-in at the main school office, and deal with any enquiries they may have.
· Undertake regular patrols of the premises and grounds and take appropriate measures to ensure the security of the premises , staff and pupils.
· Monitoring fire and intruder alarm procedures and carry out weekly checks.
· Bringing Health and Safety issues to the attention of the School Business Manager and to the Executive Headteacher· To ensure all items of significant value are security marked and logged and entered onto online software system.
CLEANING – A high standard of cleanliness results in the school being fit for purpose.
· Liaise with the cleaning supervisor to ensure the school is cleaned to a high standard.
· To bring to the attention of the SBM or a member of the Senior Leadership Team any perceived issues with the quality of the cleaning provided by the cleaning contractor.
· Clean areas of the school outside cleaning contract hours as required.
· Clean up bodily fluid accidents.
· Maintain tidy and organized workspaces and storage areas.
· To ensure all classrooms and toilets are fully stocked all day with paper towels, toilet rolls, hand soap, air fresheners, etc.
· To ensure that the school has sufficient stock of janitorial consumables e.g. toilet rolls, hand soap, etc. and to order replacement stock through the school ordering procedures.
· Remove all land fill and recycling rubbish with the cleaning team and to ensure the bin stores area is kept clean, safe and accessible.
· To arrange and assist in the deep cleaning of the school in the holidays e.g. carpet cleaning.
GROUNDS MAINTENANCE – The school grounds are maintained to a high standard for pupils, staff and other stakeholders.
· To clear the outside grounds of any litter, leaves and any other debris from all outside areas of the school and ensure that the tidiness of the grounds is maintained.
· Empty litter bins and ensure dustbins points are kept clean and tidy.
· To liaise with ground maintenance contractors to ensure that contracts are fulfilled.
· Make any minor repairs to the outside school grounds including play equipment.
· Keep gardens, playgrounds and other outside areas clean and clear of litter, leaves and other rubbish.
· Work with gardening groups of pupils to contribute to the curriculum and support teaching and learning.