This school in Wallingford has an exciting opportunity for a Science Technician to join an established team in a highly successful science department. No experience is necessary as full training can be provided, however an interest in science, a willingness to learn and a flexible attitude are essential.
Wallingford, OX10 8HH
30 hours per week, term time only
£9.99 – £10.19 per hour, dependent on experience
Please Note: Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK
Our client is a successful Academy of 1,300 students aged 11-18. They have an excellent reputation and a growing working relationship with their local community.
About the Role
Within the school’s very friendly and supportive science department, the technician team is composed of a Senior Science Technician, a Science Technician and this vacant role for a Science Technician.
The team works out of two dedicated prep rooms serving the main science department and from September they will have an additional satellite prep room serving three purpose built labs in a new building, which is a really exciting addition to the department.
Responsibilities of the Science Technician include:
* To prepare practical equipment/resources for lessons, this could include solutions for chemistry, plant materials for biology and electrical equipment for physics.
* Maintain the equipment and other resources used for lessons in the department.
* Assist in the management of the laboratories on a day-to-day basis to ensure that all are orderly and suitably equipped for teaching.
* Photocopying, printing and laminating of teaching materials.
* Trial and modify new practicals and keep results of assessed practical data.
* Assist teaching staff with demonstrations and experiments as required.
* Create and maintain a purposeful, orderly and productive working environment.
* Keep the Science Department area tidy (as part of the “clean desk policy”)
* Undertake regular file maintenance activities.
* Undertake the safe disposal of biological and chemical materials under advisement of the Senior Technician.
* Complete records of the safe disposal of biological and chemical materials as required.
* Assist in the annual chemical/ equipment inventory check.
* Undertake the monitoring of stock, cataloguing resources and undertaking audits as required.
* Undertake repairs/modifications within own capabilities and report other damages/needs to the senior technician.
* Undertake termly Health and Safety checks of the department under the direction of the Senior technician that will be reported back to the Head of Science.
* To assist the science team in organisation and activities which benefit students’ learning.
* Perform other tasks that support the smooth running of the preparation for lessons and the general maintenance of the department under the direction of the Senior technician.
* Establish constructive relationships with all staff in the department, to support achievement and progress of pupils.
* Flexibility and a can do attitude
* Excellent communication skills
* Well organised and efficient
* Able to work independently
* Ability to manage time effectively and work to deadlines
* ICT literate
* Good numeracy and literacy skills
* Interest in/qualification in Science
* Experience working in a school and/or in a laboratory environment
* Knowledge of particular subject/technical area
* Ability to use Microsoft Office software
How to apply for the Science Technician role:
If you have the skills and experience required for this facilities management position, click “apply” today and you will be directed to the school’s website where you will be able to submit an application form.
You must be eligible to work in the UK. No agencies please.
All successful candidates will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service Check – DBS (previously named as a CRB check) along with other relevant employment checks.
Other suitable skills and experience includes Science, Laboratory Technician, School Support, Teaching Assistant, Lab Assistant